Well it’s mid-May and I haven’t wrote in a while.  Mostly because I’ve been busy either updating and tweaking the studio , working, making music and jamming with a bunch of people.

The new drums are incredible.  They sound awesome.  I’ve had to tune them a couple of times since getting them as is always the case with new heads but each time they sound perfect.  Personally I tune with just a drum key.  I know there are all sorts of toys out there to help tune but I prefer my key and my ear. Check out The Drum Tuning Bible. Still waiting on the other components of the kit which will be a while.

The studio project has been going well.  I managed to pick up a Yamaha DX7 II D at a great price and add it to my synthesizer collection.  Right now it’s about the only one in the collection but hey, gotta start somewhere.  I like the DX 7 because I can swap out sound banks with any of about 65,000 patches available online and control the whole thing through MIDI.  I have to admit I was a bit surprised when I ran a pile of MIDI channels to it at once.  I got a buffer overload message.  Go figure.  The thing has next to no RAM in it.  I forgot about back in those days.

Micing and isolation are starting to become an issue for our recording.  I’ve added a couple of Shure SM7s and a 58 to the mix (sorry, bad pun) and I’m micing guitar amps.  Right now I’m getting too much bleed over from amp to amp.  That’s unfortunately because although there is a large space, the amps have to be close up because the PA is pretty much a hopped-up stereo.

This should be resolved soon as I’ve got some Behringer Eurolive B212D and B208D powered monitors on order.  This missing component in the setup limited some of our physical positioning.  With proper monitors we should all be able to hear each other.

Fortunately I’ve been able to put all these toys to good use.  I’ve been jamming with 4 groups of musicians and having and absolute blast!

I’ll keep you posted…

Advertisements